Author Topic: 2F81 Swarthmore  (Read 182 times)

shipnerd

• Telechron Elder
2F81 Swarthmore
« on: June 10, 2017, 01:44:01 PM »
Picked up this Swarthmore yesterday for $28.00. My first banjo clock.
"Well aren't you just a fun-filled little lollipop triple-dipped in psycho."

Kid Clock

• Telechron Elder
Re: 2F81 Swarthmore
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2017, 08:16:01 PM »
Nice!  @@*  $28 is a mega steal.

shipnerd

• Telechron Elder
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2017, 11:30:33 PM »
When I saw it for that price I had to snag it, they usually go for quite a bit more than that.

It has a newer aluminum rotor, which is fine since it runs quietly enough, but someone in the past slathered lacquer all over it for some reason. There are drips here and there, but it's not bad enough that I want to strip and refinish it. I do however want to see if there is anything I can use to restore the bezel and metal trim pieces. They look as if the original finish has been stripped off and they've darkened quite a bit from age. Can anyone recommend something that can restore them?

Olympian

• Telechron Elder
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 10:11:14 AM »
Well, assuming you can remove the pieces to work on them individually, wash them in a solution of ammonia and water with a bit of alcohol in the mix. Dry thoroughly, the polish them with 0000 steel wool, and buff with a soft flannel cloth.  They will gleam like new.  Preserving that look can be accomplished several ways:  Put a thin coat of good car wax on them, and buff out.  You'll need to renew that eventually, but the shine should last several years in an indoor environment.  Alternately, get a can of clear spray lacquer, and give the pieces several light coats of lacquer. Given how the rest of the clock looks, it should look like a million bucks with the restored brass parts!

Tony

shipnerd

• Telechron Elder
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2017, 12:51:33 PM »
Well, assuming you can remove the pieces to work on them individually, wash them in a solution of ammonia and water with a bit of alcohol in the mix. Dry thoroughly, the polish them with 0000 steel wool, and buff with a soft flannel cloth.  They will gleam like new.  Preserving that look can be accomplished several ways:  Put a thin coat of good car wax on them, and buff out.  You'll need to renew that eventually, but the shine should last several years in an indoor environment.  Alternately, get a can of clear spray lacquer, and give the pieces several light coats of lacquer. Given how the rest of the clock looks, it should look like a million bucks with the restored brass parts!

Tony

Thanks for the tips! I'll give it a try and post photos when finished. The eagle might be a bit of a challenge. It's covered with a thick layer of whatever shellac/lacquer was applied to the rest of the clock, and it also looks like it may have originally been plated but I could be wrong. The bezel and side trim pieces look like they will be much easier to clean.

shipnerd

• Telechron Elder
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2017, 12:30:48 AM »
The eagle finial, bezel, and side pieces were coated with the same lacquer that currently covers the case, I soaked them in hot water for several minutes to soften the lacquer allowing me to scrape and peel it off. Then I let everything soak for at least an hour in a bath of one part ammonia to two parts water (I didn't add any alcohol) and then polished everything with 0000 steel wool as Olympian suggested. I'm very happy with the result. I haven't yet coated them with anything to preserve the shine, but I may try the car wax. Whenever I've used spray lacquer on polished metal it's always ended up with a dull look to it.

Kid Clock

• Telechron Elder
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2017, 07:48:20 AM »
Sweet!   ;)

Olympian

• Telechron Elder
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2017, 09:10:31 AM »
It sets off that clock like tinsel sets off a Christmas tree.  Beautiful job, Shipnerd!

Tony

shipnerd

• Telechron Elder
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2017, 12:36:16 AM »
Thanks, guys!

I would have never thought of using ammonia as an agent for removing tarnish, but apart from the smell I was very impressed with how well it worked and how easy it was to use.

Kid Clock

• Telechron Elder
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2017, 07:50:01 PM »
Brasso is an ammonia sauce... does the same thing.  ...has a bit o' grit.

shipnerd

• Telechron Elder
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2017, 09:17:10 PM »
I've heard that about Brasso, it's a very mild abrasive.

As I write this I'm sitting here looking at my 8H29 Tele-Jour and noticing the brass surround is looking rather in need of some care. Maybe I should give it an ammonia bath too.

Kid Clock

• Telechron Elder
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2017, 09:26:04 PM »
You and your beloved Tele-Jour... ( I wish I had one...)  ..you ought to strip that brass plate, shine/buff it to a mirror finish, and lacquer coat it.  You'll be done.

http://www.telechron.net/forager/index.php?topic=538.msg5256#msg5256

shipnerd

• Telechron Elder
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2017, 09:43:09 PM »
You and your beloved Tele-Jour... ( I wish I had one...)  ..you ought to strip that brass plate, shine/buff it to a mirror finish, and lacquer coat it.  You'll be done.

http://www.telechron.net/forager/index.php?topic=538.msg5256#msg5256

Thanks for the link, I'd forgotten about that thread. I can't believe I've had that Tele-Jour since 2009, and next month I'll have been collecting these clocks for 10 years now! Where has the time gone? (no pun intended)

But no question, the surround is getting an ammonia bath.

Kid Clock

• Telechron Elder
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2017, 07:43:25 PM »

shipnerd

• Telechron Elder
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2017, 11:12:49 PM »
Here's your clock, dude...

http://www.telechron.net/forager/index.php?topic=1413.msg16687#msg16687

Unfortunately I don't have a proper hallway to hang it in. It's currently on the wall in my office, lumped in with all my other wall clocks. (And boy, that brochure is COLORFUL!)