Author Topic: Hammond Bichronous - Postal Telegraph  (Read 1038 times)

OldTechFan

• Telechron Elder
  • Awards
    • Awards
Hammond Bichronous - Postal Telegraph
« on: November 09, 2011, 05:38:55 PM »
I have a nice relationship with a real watch/clock maker/repair gent 3rd generation and all of that - He sends various Telechrons my way from time to time..  :)   

So, he is stuck, and I may be too, on a Hammond Bichronous motor - for a large Postal Telegraph. 

I thought I'd worked on one of these, but, alas, it was the Synchronous motor.  Much much easier.   So I opened up my Arcadia, which also wouldn't start.  Turns out to be missing a bunch of teeth on on of those phenolic-fiberglass laminates (I think die stamped).   

a) I guess these are hard to replace... but my friend does make gears, and does all that nice stuff...
b) I got around the pull turn release semi-spin start when I opened it up - but it looked like it wanted to run the second hand about 1 rev in 15 seconds !!!
      <:[  there was a tiny wire that looks like it tensioned parts in that back spinning counter-wait --  oops it sprung away.. hmmm 

Any thoughts welcome - seems like the fiber-gears might be the big hurdle...

OldTechFan

• Telechron Elder
  • Awards
    • Awards
Re: Hammond Bichronous - Postal Telegraph
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 09:25:49 PM »
Ykes  *^o  ..  used a thicker piece of piano wire (having a stock of various gauge piano is useful... )... and voila - it works.

Until hits the gear spots with no teeth...   @@!

bugmansean

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 11:28:05 PM »
So I take it the older Hammond synchronous/bisynchronous movements are to be avoided?  *}}
That's really a shame, I've always admired the square schoolhouse clocks.

OldTechFan

• Telechron Elder
  • Awards
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 12:46:29 AM »
So I take it the older Hammond synchronous/bisynchronous movements are to be avoided?  *}}
That's really a shame, I've always admired the square schoolhouse clocks.
  I'd say the synchronous motor/movements are fairly straightforward.  I've swapped Telechron coils for bad Hammond ones.. clean 'em up.. oil in the oil felt pads..

This bichrononous seems to suffer more from broken gear teeth as an impediment - (he says, so far... |-& ... )  *=*